What’s Up Dock

At first glance, empanadas look a bit intimidating to make. Nevertheless, Chef Husband set me up with my mis en place, gave me a quick walkthrough, from start to finish, and I was off to the races (actually I took my time, as it’s something I’ve never done before).

Chef Husband had already prepared a hand pulled chicken filling and my job was to work with the dough. We took a quick shortcut route by starting with a can of Grands refrigerator biscuits. 

Each biscuit was rolled out with a rolling pin (dusted with flour so they didn’t stick). Then using a docker, I rolled over the dough, creating air vents

For the biscuits, especially this brand, they will rise and puff up, and we don’t want that.  Docking holes allows the dough to hold shape and be somewhat crisp, not bubble up and get puffy.







So, for this recipe, the key to staying in control of the shape of the dough is to dock it so they won’t puff up.


To be continued...

Culinarily Yours, 

Mrs. Chef (Christa)

READ PREVIOUS POST: 
Knuckle Up