Small Dice

My homework for tonight, as assigned by Chef Husband, was to take the smoked chicken breasts from last night and prep them for lettuce wraps, specifically cutting them into a “small dice”.

Knife skills are one of the hallmarks in cooking, with “knife cuts” focusing on the execution of a particular shape and size. The small dice cut is a 1/4” cube.

I cut the breast lengthwise into 1/4” strips, then took each of those strips and laid them flat to cut them lengthwise further into 1/4” strips. Now they look like a little 4x4. Line them up and turn them; cut across all of them 1/4” at a time and all of these nice little cubes appear. Of course chicken breasts don’t have perfectly straight sides like a block of cheese would, but I got pretty close. I had my cheat-sheet cut-guide to measure against. Not perfect, but a good start.





Someday I just know I’m going to have to bone out a chicken, but baby steps for now. 1/4” cubes = small dice. Got it!


Until next time...

Culinarily Yours, 

Mrs. Chef (Christa)


READ YESTERDAY: 
Mr. Rescourceful