Sandbagging

The commercial kitchen has its own lingo. It is a culture unto itself.

As Chef Husband and I stole away for a brief lunch in between errands, we observed our ordered meals, which came with a side of fries. He could tell by their appearance that they were “sandbagged”. I of course asked, “What is sandbagging?” The answer came that the cooks were cranking things out ahead of time so that they don’t get behind, stacking them up like sand bags, before the rush hit. This meant that they had come out of the fryer at different times and weren’t fresh, holding under a heat lamp for quite awhile. I myself could then observe that my fries were indeed from different cooked batches. They ranged from pale and unseasoned, to golden with seasoning.

When you pay attention to those little details, you can learn a lot about the food you are eating.


Until next time...

Culinarily Yours,

Mrs. Chef (Christa)


READ PREVIOUS POST: 
Radical Radishes